The 1099-MISC is the tax form you must use to report all non-employee compensation at year-end. Payroll Masters can prepare your 1099s for you, please call for pricing.
Download the Payroll Masters 1099 Information Sheet to get started.
Who must file a Form 1099-MISC?
You must file this form for each person to whom you have paid during the year:
- at least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest;
- at least $600 in rents, services (including parts and materials), prizes and awards, other income payments, medical and health care payments, crop insurance proceeds, cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish, or, generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate;
- any fishing boat proceeds,
- gross proceeds of $600, or more paid to an attorney during the year, or
- withheld any federal income tax under the backup withholding rules regardless of the amount of the payment.
Also, use this form to report that you made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment.