Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake
Posted on Aug 28, 2014 in Community Connections
- 1 box German Chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients needed to prepare (eggs, oil, water, see box for instructions)
- 1 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature chocolate peanut butter cups, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread 1 cup chopped peanuts on the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package instructions and pour into cake pan, DO NOT BAKE – set aside.
- Melt butter on stove top until bubbly. Pour into mixing bowl and beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the peanut butter and vanilla extract, beat till smooth. Add one cup of powdered sugar at a time to bowl, and beat until fully incorporated and mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture onto the chocolate cake batter, all over. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and peanut butter cups.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is only slightly jiggly. Check with toothpick for doneness. Cake will be cracked on top but should be a moist cake. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing and serving warm. Top with ice cream if desired! Enjoy!